As 2017 came to an end, Wye Invader Two was lifted out onto hard standing for the Winter. 2017 was a busy year, out from Sharpness most weekends she travelled as far North as Upton on Severn and then Stourport, East as far as Hanham Lock via Bristol and she had several trips up the River Wye to Brockweir, unfortunately a planned trip as far as Monmouth on the River Wye was postponed at the last minute due to low water levels and inclement weather.
It's now time to look at winter maintenance and we've got the following list:
Towards the end of February the fuel pipes and fuel filter were changed, we then made a start on the engine bay only to find the 2 forward engine mounts were well past their sell by date [probably the cause of some vibration in the videos - Dave, video editor!] . So we removed the engine and 2 hours later we had an empty engine bay and we then used a grinder with a 36 grit disc to remove all the paint and rust from the floor and sanding the inner sides of the hull before repainting.
The last weekend of February was very cold with an easterly wind blowing however, Wye Invader Two had her engine and stern covered with a large tarpaulin, the sun was shining and out of the wind it was almost Spring.
The list of Winter service items to do would not do themselves and hopefully Summer is not that far away, so we made a start on the fuel system.
1. The first item in the fuel supply line and often forgotten is the fuel water separator, it does the job or separating any water that has found it's way into your fuel tank from the fuel. We removed the base, cleaned it, resealed it and refilled with fuel.
2. 2 fuel pipes and 1 leak off pipe from the injectors to return surplus fuel. These were replaced with new items and were also the correct Fire Resistant Fuel Pipes Spec.
3. The fuel filter was replaced and then filled with injector cleaning fluid to improve starting and performance in general.
4. We bled the fuel system and started the engine to check for fuel leaks and engine performance in general.
It's been a busy couple of weeks in between the good and the bad weather!
Friday 23rd March
Clean Engine Bay floor areas after grinding and sanding. Paint with Fertan Rust Converter to leave the surface ready for paint.
Saturday 31st March
‘Wet’ flat all painted areas and wipe with panel wipe to remove the grease and damp because of low outside temperatures, paint with grey bilge paint then cover and leave to dry for a few days.
Friday 6th April
Repack Stern tube with fresh gland packing.
Saturday 7th April
Refit engine, replace the 2 forward engine mountings, 2 water (coolant hoses) from the engine to water expansion pressure tank and 2 water pump (coolant hoses ) to hot water tank for domestic use.
Refit gear selector cable and throttle control cable, then start the engine and bleed fuel system and check for fuel leaks.
Job not yet finished, waiting for antifreeze and some water hoses.