• Stacks Image p7756_n2
  • Stacks Image p7756_n6
  • Stacks Image p7756_n9
  • Stacks Image p7756_n12

Back to Normality!

Stacks Image 7413
Easter Weekend and it was back to reality after the Wye Invader Two trip to Monmouth on the one of largest tides of the year so far! The Bank Holiday weather was set to be the hottest so far this year so it was decided to go to Gloucester on Good Friday, stop for fuel in Saul Junction on the way and then on to Gloucester to stay over and have a look at the currently closed Gloucester Lock and try to get an under-standing as to why it is taking so long to repair.
Friday 0815 hrs. Wye Invader Two departed Sharpness Marina, as the wind was blowing strong from the North East as soon as the bows were free of the mooring, the wind took Wye Invader Two bow first down the Marina, as we do not have a bow thruster this required going astern to exit the Marina.

0830 hrs. As Wye Invader Two left Sharpness the skies were clear of clouds, the wind was still blowing from the north east and it’s cold! However, there are no other boats or very few moving on the canal and it’s a beautiful day to be out.

1015 hrs. Wye Invader Two stopped at and moored alongside the fuel stop just short of Saul Junction

10 30 hrs. As there were no other boats on the canal we soon cleared Saul Junction and passed Hardwick off to the starboard side, by 1125 hrs the canal then moves into a cutting and is sheltered from the wind as we pass by Quedgeley and a definite improvement as far as temperature is concerned.
Stacks Image 7418
Stacks Image 7420
1200 hrs. Wye Invader Two passes under Llanthony Bridge and into Gloucester Docks, there were 2 Wide Beam Barges moored on the west side just short of the lock entrance and 4 Narrowboats on the finger moorings by Dr Fosters in the north east corner, not what you would expect on a Bank Holiday. In the lock, the water had been stopped from the river side and 2 pumps were dealing with a small amount through the lock gates from the dock. A friend had made enquiry of the Canal Trust and been told that the lock will be open on the 28th April. we all hope so!

RETURN TO Sharpness Saturday.

1030 hrs. Checked the engine and gear box oil, started engine and cleared the mooring, the wind had eased, the day was warming up and there was very little cloud about. The journey back was a very pleasant one, Gloucester Rowing Club was out on the canal in force and, by the time we had passed through Saul Junction the rest of the boating community had decided to take full advantage of the day.

Wye Invader Two arrived back at Sharpness and was soon moored up, fuelled up and had spent a very pleasant 2 days on the Sharpness Canal.
Stacks Image 7427
Stacks Image 7429
Stacks Image 7432
Stacks Image 7435
Stacks Image 7447